Safe Sleep tips for mums and dads to ensure a healthy and safe baby sleep for your little one
- Place your baby on his or her back when putting to sleep.
- Ensure baby’s face and head is and stays uncovered.
- Do not let your baby become overheated. Monitor your baby’s temperature. Use light clothing and keep the room temperature at a comfortable level (65˚F or 18˚C).
- Use a one-piece sleeper or a baby sleeping bag, instead of blankets.
- Use only a cot that meets current Australian safety standards
- Ensure baby’s mattress is firm, clean, flat, and the correct size for the cot.
- Only cover the mattress with a tight fitting sheet.
- Never place your baby to sleep on any soft surface.
- Ensure that the cot is free from toys, pillows, etc. Nothing should be in, attached to, or draped over the side of the cot.
- Place your baby to sleep in his or her own sleep area, instead of bed sharing.
- Do not use wedges or positioning devices.
For more Safe Sleep advise for your baby, please read the SIDS & Kids Safe Sleeping recommendations